Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fun with Purple! New China Glaze Grape Pop, Up and Away collection

So  I wanted to do colors for Valentine's day manicures, but ended up picking two purples out from my collection.  I used a random Forever21 purple nail polish that I got several months ago, it's a medium purple, with a dusty look to it.  It's actually a very pretty purple on my skin tone, and the formula was decent.  Quite sheer, but I had quite some time to wait in between coats.

This is 4 coats in indoor light without flash




And indoor lighting with flash
The picture without flash is closer to the actual color, but I would say that the color is truly in between both pictures.  I also added some nail art by using a small nail art brush and a dotter tool, and white acrylic paint.  Just something simple on the ring fingers:
I added two half flowers, to opposite corners of the nail.  I made three petals on the bottom right and four on the top left of the nail.  Then I added some white dots, 4 to 5 for each flower curving downwards or upwards(refer to picture).  Then I added LA Colors Art Deco in Silver Glitter to the middle of each flower in place of a rhinestone.  Rhinestones never last long on my fingernails, especially when they're at the edges.  Repeat the design on the other hand to complete the look.  You can get creative and add more lines and dots, it's up to you!
Finishing Result, purple nails with delicate white flowers and dots!


 On to purple toes!!!  I recently ordered Grape Pop from China Glaze's Up and Away collection.  This is one of those purpley blues that I really like.  I have become quite fond of purples, especially darker shades of purple with my skintone.  Anyways...in indoor lighting it looks like a dark purple, and when the sunlight hits it, it represents its true bluish purple tone.  The next picture shows the true blurple tone of the polish.  I decided to also do flowers on my toes.  I used a small nail art brush and white acrylic paint (water-based).
 I started with two small flowers coming out of the sides, feel free to make as many petals per flower and as big as you would like.



Next I added an additional flower to each nail, to complete the basic design.  I added a 5 petal flower to the top of the design to complete it.

Then I added yellow and pink detailing to the inside of each petal.  Water-based acrylic paint was used again. You can use a nail striper brush, or any small fine point brush.  If you don't feel that you have a steady enough hand, you can try using a toothpick dipped in the proper acrylic paint color to add detailing.

 

I love adding dots to nail designs, because they always look neat and are easy to do with a nail dotting tool.  I used once again pink and yellow acrylic paint, and drew dots randomly around the design.
 
Last step!  Add Rhinestones!!  I only added rhinestones to two of the flowers, and used Art Deco in Silver Glitter for the center of the remaining flower.  Have fun with it! Make this your own with different petal shapes and colors.  Here is the final result.  Excuse my horrible pictures and messy polish job, I forgot to clean up the sides first.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment